Tinclar's Library in Bampton, was founded as a Trust in 1750 by the Reverend Jonathan Tinclar with a donation of £50. He was Rector of Addlethorpe in Lincolnshire but his family originated from Westmorland and he himself had probably been educated at Bampton Grammar School, renowned at the time for its output of scholars - many destined for the Church of England. His intention was to supply the vicars of this otherwise relatively poor parish, not only with theological books but also with works on Law and the Sciences.
From the £50 endowment, a field was purchased, and the rent from this was then used to pay for the books. The library also incorporated earlier gifts of books from the Earl of Lonsdale and Bishop Gibson of London, dating from as early as 1710. Over the years the collection expanded to about 1,500 works, including books received from other parish libraries and donations.
When Bampton lost its resident vicar in 1992, the opportunity was taken to re-catalogue the collection and at the same time to re-house it in St Patrick's Church Hall in Bampton, thereby making it more accessible to parishioners and interested visitors. The library is now one of only two 'Parochial Libraries' remaining in Cumbria and the only one regularly open to the public.
The Library retains its core collection of theological books, including Greek, Hebrew and Coptic bibles, but in addition there is a broad range of books of local and general interest extending back into the C18th. These include:
Bampton Parish Records
Mondays from 12 noon to 2pm or at other times by appointment: telephone 713434 or 713325. We will be open on bank holiday Mondays.
Admission is free, but the library is supported entirely by voluntary effort, so donations are always welcome! The library is registered as a charity, so donations are eligible for gift aid.
FRIENDS OF TINCLAR'S LIBRARY
The Friends are a group of supporters of the Library, within the Parish and beyond, who assist at fund-raising functions and provide a reservoir of talent and enthusiasm to secure the future of the library for the community. Friends are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting of the Library, and also to an annual Friends' reception in Church Hall which is addressed by a speaker on a topic of local or literary interest.
Current rates of membership subscriptions are as follows:
Apart from the regular purchase of books to augment and refresh the collection, the Trustees are always pleased to consider offers of books, subject to the constraints of space and relevance. Similarly, offers of items for the parish record and local history resource sections of the collection are also very welcome, such as:
LOCATION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
The Library is located in St Patrick's Church Hall, Bampton Grange, Cumbria next to St Patrick's Church. The postcode is CA10 2QR. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01931) 713306